Deviled eggs are a hit at any gathering. The rich, creamy egg yolk mixed with mayo, salt and pepper, white vinegar, mustard, and paprika creates the perfect culinary treat of salt, fat, acid, and heat. Of course, today, there are endless variations of this party food favorite.
When it comes to pairing wine with deviled eggs, white wines will be your best option. They’re a safe choice when you may be dealing with a variety of seasonings and ingredients, and the refreshing acidity cleanses the palate between bites, so you can go back for more. And who doesn’t want to go back for more?
Wine Characteristics To Pair With Deviled Eggs
|Acidity||Medium to High||Light to Medium|
|Body||Light to Medium||Light to Medium|
|Tasting Notes||Berry, Red Fruit||Citrus, Tropical fruit, Stone Fruit|
Whether you choose red or white wine, one of the most important characteristics to look for is acidity as this is going to cut through the richness of the egg. A wine that is also light-bodied will ensure that you are not overpowering the flavor of the egg. You also can’t go wrong with bubbles, as they are great for cleansing the palate and add a touch of festivity to any occasion.
Best Red Wine To Pair With Deviled Eggs
Red wine is not the best choice for deviled eggs as the tannins can clash with the flavor of the egg, leaving a metallic taste in the mouth.
- Pinot Noir: Medium body, good acidity, and red fruit notes
- Lambrusco: Strong, fruity notes, high acidity, and bubbles.
- Sparkling Rosé: bubbly with bright acidity and a strong berry flavor.
Best White Wine To Pair With Deviled Eggs
Crisp, dry, white wines with high acidity will balance out the creamy richness of the egg yolk without overpowering the flavor.
- Riesling: Crisp and acidic with notes of citrus and pineapple.
- Pinot Grigio: Very light with citrus and stone fruit flavor.
- Sauvignon Blanc: highly acidic with notes of green apple, lime, and grass.
- Champagne: Peach, almond, and citrus with bright acidity and bubbles.
- Prosecco: Dry and bubbly, with citrus and green apple notes.